Friday, May 21, 2010

Trapped?


The truth is that no one will admit to wanting to be trapped. The rest of the truth is that there is a certain amount of security in that feeling: in that trapped feeling. There’s a guilt in the conflict between those two ideas, a denial of human nature and an affirmation of limitations/ Here’s my example. I got on the train this morning and saw a baby. It was one of those limp babies wrapped, enclosed, enveloped in one of those baby holding things. I use to always think to myself that it must suck to be that baby. You can’t go anywhere, move around, explore. The strange thing is that the baby always seems to be content or, worse yet, sleeping. I think this is where we, or more specifically I, find the truth. That is that babies get it and I did not. I’ve come to understand that you have to come to terms with a certain amount of the inevitability in the monument before you can ever have a hope of changing any of it. The truth is a baby biding his or her time until the next fight not a kid giving up. I know the feeling, little bald baby. I know the feeling. 

No comments: